Nearest in meaning
Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word or expression in each sentence.
11. Mary’s mother is confident that her daughter will win a prize.
12. The troops retreated when they were attacked
13. Our teacher advised us to be courteous always.
14. All latecomers were promptly punished.
15. We should all learn to restrain our anger.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has be been underlined. choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one that best explains the underlined words.
16. The two brothers are always quarreling: they never see eye to eye. This means they do not..........each other.
A. agree with
17. You must be off your head if you really believe that the moon is a huge cake. This means that you must be..........
18. Amale does not earn much, but she has some money put by. This means Amale has some money..........
A. to live on
B. for charity
C. saved for the future
D. to pay her children's fees
19. Several passengers were killed in the accident, but the driver escaped by the skin of his teeth. This means that the driver..........
A. missed death narrowly
B. lost all his teeth
C. ran into the bush
D. had only a scratch on his skin
20. When the armed robbers could no longer fight the police, they gave in. this means the armed robbers..........
C. shot themselves
D. cried for help
Most nearly opposite
From the list of words lettered A to D , choose the one which is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word underlined in each sentence.
21. The prefect was commended for his good work.
22. The teacher’s stern looks helped maintain discipline in the class.
23. Our Assemblyman had declined our invitations to talk to us.
24. Though her friend asked for some water, Divine callously drank all of it.
25. Rain makes the soil moist for planting.
Most suitably completes
From the alternatives A to D, choose the one which most suitably completes each sentence.
26. The students can go home when they.......... the work.
A. had finished
D. will finished
27. Most people are not kind to animals, ..........?
A. weren’t it
B. isn’t it
D. are they
28. Afua.......... her clothes on the line to dry.
29. Kwesi went to school after he.......... his teeth.
A. had brushed
B. has brushed
30. Kate is the.......... pupil in her class.
C. very well-behaved
D. most well-behaved
31. A bag of money, with some documents.......... stolen from the car.
D. have been
32. It is necessary sometimes to resort.......... violence.
33. Clara understood all.......... her teacher taught.
34. Ali agrees that the rice project is.......... good.
35. Charles does not expect.......... his teacher today.
B. having seen
C. being seen
D. to see
36. Kweku thinks that life is difficult.......... you are old.
37. Many countries.......... the world use English.
38. Do you like this dress? I made.......... myself.
39. Ashanti Goldfields is the.......... of gold.
A. nation's produce largest
B. largest nation's producer
C. producer nation's largest
D. nation's largest producer
40. Neither Kwesi nor Yaw.......... there when I got to the house.
Top preschools in Accra: read more...